The Minister of National Defence Evangelos Apostolakis participated in the informal meeting of EU Defence Ministers which was held in Bucharest, on Wednesday the 30th and Thursday the 31st of January.
During the meeting, the following topics were discussed:
· The role of women in Security and Defence.
· The implementation of European Union’s Global Strategy, including the cohesion among European initiatives in the field of Defence: PESCO (Permanent Structured Cooperation), CARD (Coordinated Annual Review on Defence), EDF/EDIDP (European Defence Fund/European Defence Industrial Development Program), EPF (European Peace Facility).
· Innovation and technological developments in the field of Defence.
The Minister of National Defence during his intervention in the meeting, among other things, stated the following:
· The issue of reinforcing women’s role in the Hellenic Armed Forces is a priority for the Ministry of National Defence, at an institutional and at a practical level, through the application of the existent national and European legislation, as well as through constantly broadening the duties assigned to the female personnel of the Hellenic Armed Forces.
· The initiatives developed in the field of defence cooperation in the European Union are the means to achieve the Global Strategy of the Union, and they contribute to its reliability as a global actor in the field of defence.