Minister of National Defence Mr. PANOS PANAGIOTOPOULOS ||
Saturday, 23 June 2012 17:34 |
- Journalist and lawyer.
- He was born in Athens in 1957.
- He graduated from the National Technical University of Thessaloniki (Civil Engineering), the School of Law of the University of Athens and the Vincennes University (Paris); While studying, he was at the same time working. He speaks English and French (he is a graduate of the French Institute of Athens).
- He served his military service in the Hellenic Air Force.
- Since his youth, he was an active member of the Nea Demokratia Youth Organization (NDYO) and the Nea Demokratia Student Organisation (DAP-NDFK). He was member of the leadership of NDYO and Editor-in-Chief of the newspaper “Demokratiki Protoporia”). Member of the Administrative Committee (Department of Youth) of ‘Nea Demokratia’ political party, he participated in the Governmental Programme Committee (1984-85), responsible for matters of Youth and the fight against drugs.
- He is being continually elected, since April 2000 until today, MP with ‘Nea Demokratia’ Political Party in the Second (B’) Electoral District of Athens.
- Minister of Employment and Social Protection in the first Government under K. Karamanlis (March 2004 – February 2006).
- By decision of the Prime-Minister at the time, he was appointed General Rapporteur for the Government for the Review of the Constitution.
- Parliamentary Representative of ‘Nea Demokratia” Party (September 2007 – October 2009).
- He was among the first who supported Antonis Samaras during the intra-party procedures for the election of a new President (Autumn 2009).
- He was spokesman of ‘Nea Demokratia’ Party (November 2009 – January 2011).
- Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs Policy (January 2011 – June 2012).
- He was also President of the Parliament’s Special Committee for the ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon.
- Since his University years, he was engaged in National Matters and Matters of Foreign and Defence Policy, publishing a series of Articles in the Hellenic Press.
- He is one of the key spokespersons of ‘Nea Demokratia” political Party’s political views and arguments to the Media, where he always excels for his systematic approach of any matter, his correct utterance and his complete knowledge of political communication.
- Until the entry into force of the clause determining the general incompatibility of professions to deputyship of the Members of the Hellenic Parliament, he successfully practiced journalism in Print and Broadcast Media, as well as courtroom advocacy, mainly specialising in penal and corporate affairs, in his own Law Office in Athens.
- In his personal talk show “PROFILE”, one of the most respected programs of Greek television, he hosted many international delegations and he held interviews with prominent personalities and Heads of States.
- Member of the Journalists' Union of the Athens Daily Newspapers and of the Athens Bar Association.
- For many years he carried out administrative duties in the Private Sector. Among others, he was the Editing Director of News for “SKAI 100,4” Radio, Editing Director of News for “STAR TV” and Director of talk shows for the Channels “ET-1” and “ANT1 TV”. He was founding member of the “ATHINA 9,84 FM” Radio Station and collaborated with the Radio Stations “ANTENNA 97,1 FM” and “PLANET 104,5 FM”.
- He has worked in the newspapers “KATHIMERINI”, “ELEFTHEROS TYPOS”, “APOGHEVMATINI”, “VRADINI” and “VIMA” as political editor and columnist.
- He has been bestowed many awards and honorary distinctions. Among them, the Greek Television Award (1992), the “Botsis Foundation for the Promotion of Journalism” Award, the Greek Christian Literary Award and the honorary distinction of the Greek Reserve Officers Association.